Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Why Don't Older People like Fantasy?


It may not imply for everyone, but it still is something I keep on wondering about. Why don't elders like fantasy novels? They normally prefer realistic stories to the stories with dragons and monsters. I'm mad about fantasy novels. I always find them interesting. Always.

But still, why don't elders like fantasy? Yes, I have seen people who love books like Harry Potter or The Lord of The Rings. But how many such people are there? What is that elders find boring in fantasy novels?

I think it's because most elders have worries. They have to work a lot everyday and have to take care of their problems, their childrens' problems and problems of the family. They are too busy and have to face reality everyday. Maybe, elders like to read books in which they get to know, how other people like them, face problems in their lives. How a normal human being takes care of problems, not how a powerful wizard takes care of his problems. I find this reason quite logical.

But a dose of fantasy sometimes is good, isn't it? Is it? I don't know. You tell me! Do the Uncles and Aunties need a little dose of fantasy at intervals in their lives?

14 comments:

Niranjan said...

hey
i agree to that. my mom tells me she does not like fantasy.

Anonymous said...

Another idea could be when people get older they are somehow prejudiced - like 'no fantasy is for kids I will have nothing to do with it'. But I have seen that once they actually take the book and read (maybe desperate with nothing else to do provoking them to do so) they enjoy just as well. My Dad being the biggest example I have seen. He despised Harry Potter for no reason till I dragged the whole family for a movie once and then he sat and read the whole series!

Same thing goes for many stuff like take dolls or toys for one. Why do people stop having to do anything with them when they grow up. Cause the day they turn 11, they decide this is only for kids - 'I cant be seen with them'. I sincerely believe thats an entirely wrong way to look at things! Spend time with what you like, stop worrying about what you seem like to others.

Anonymous said...

hi,
let us hope that a little doze of fantasy may cure the realistic worriers of elders....long live fantasy....

Adi said...

2 Neeru- Thanx bro..... loved your new post!

Adi said...

@ Cris- That was quick! Yes, that again is a logical point. Like Harry Potter, eh? I find it just so-so....
Anyways, thanx a lot!

Anonymous said...

Dear Adi,

I liked your posting. I am en elder who loves fantacies. In fact I think that even the real life is a fantasy!

Love

Gopalakrishnan

Adi said...

@gopal- Thanx

Zawan said...

you have a good point
most elders and adults don't read fantasy much...
But maybe they do read stories that have fantasy but not those which are for kids/young adults
for example, One HUndred years of solitude is an adult book (not prohibited to kids though) that is filled with fantasies and crazy things
nice post...

Anonymous said...

My mom and my dad love fantasy I don't know about other adults but most I know seem to love fantasy. I know I do!

Adi said...

@ snakeking- thanx a lot dude!

Meghna said...

Adi...I think the post was cool.....good one for elders! I guess it's coz they prefer reality to fantasy!

Tell u wat?? My dad loves fantasy!!! He took a week long leave frm office just to finish all Harry Potter parts....he's a crazier Potter fan than me LOL!

Adi said...

@ Meghna - That's really cool!!!

Anonymous said...

I feel that fantasy in the lives of adults is not about wizards alone. See, you know about XX and XXX movies? books of similar kind, too. aren't they all fantasy? Those are not real, right. so its not that fantasy is for kids. May be, with all their problems and all, adults fantasise more than kids who have less problems in life.What do you say?

Anonymous said...

Hi Adi...

I do enjoy fantasy novels also... it seems what you can make up is always more interesting than the reality!!! But I did have a teacher last yeasr that absolutely hated fantasy... he said we would never read it in class!

Please visit my blog at:

laurena09.edublogs.org

-Lauren :)