Sunday, June 8, 2008

Computer Games

"You are now in high scholl, class 8, this year iand the next few years are very important for you now. Now you should stop playihg computer games. Is that OK?"
"NO!!!!"
"I know you like them a lot. I'm not asking you to stop playing immediately. Take your time, but you should stop some day."
"No, No, NO!!!"
"Listen, you should not be making such a fuss. Computer games are useless, thy're only going to spoil you more and more."
"But, still mom..."
"No excuses son. You are a big boy now. You have grown out of the age of playing these games."
"Mom! But they're fun! I really need to play them! Please!!! Next year onwards, I may not be able to touch the computer at all! Please let me have one last year with it. I'm not asking you to give it to me everyday! Just... maybe once in 3 days or so!"
"I'm ready to give you computer everyday, IF you use it in a good way, like going to good websites or to email your friends, and of course, to do your blog. Just, don't play games with it. Computer wasn't made for games, son. Computers have brought a change in the world. The computer is a great machine, if you use it in the way you should be using it in."
"Mom, please.... can't I play even a little?"
"Of Course, but you should give away with it in this year. You cannot afford to waste time playing computer games in the world now. In this world, if you want comforts when you grow up, you have to work, work hard. Otherwise you wont reach anywhere inlife."
"All right..............."

It happens with me. I actually argue with mom about computer games. She doesn't like it when I play it, but I can't stay without it. I don't know why. There is nothing more fun than to stare at your screen with your fingers wildly tapping at keyboard buttons to make you Ferrarri 300 Spider get past your oponents car. When you play, you're not aware of anything else going around, nothing. You're mind is totally into the game, you're immersed in it. Why? Why does that happen?

Computer games were made for pure pleasure, as a pastime. People wwere happy with this new discovery in the world of computers, children even more. And till today, children have been crazy about them, more amoung boys though. This is because most games are of what you call, a 'boyish' theme. Racing with cars, shooting the heads off aliens, kicking and doing slams on fellow wrestlers, and sometimes sports. 90% of computer games have such themes and few have totally 'girlish' themes.
Later on, NITENDO, a leading game making company, came up with and idea to make games more fun and portable. They designed the GAMEBOY. Gameboy and Gameboy Advanced was and still is highly popular. A small portable gameboy can be charged. After gameboy came more breakthroughs like the SONY PLAYSTATION and the XBOX.
Many people, parents consider games useless and avoid buying their kids these. But still, markets all aroung the world sell these in monsterous amounts. Even in my own class, maybe about 5 children may be having a PLAYSTATION or an XBOX.
Another big problem is the violence in numerous games. Games like WWE RAW and MORTAL KOMBAT have violent fighting scenes, which affects a childs brain. The child starts to immitate the actions done by the 'virtual themselves' (i hope you understood what I meant by this). This is the main reason, this generation kids do acts of violence and say gaalis which is foul language.
Sometimes, it's not the violence. Some children, although they may not play such games, start loving it so much, they may relate games and life together. "I can't live without games!"
Computer games have mystified the minds of small children. Many kids have to be forced to play out of the house. Even I have reluctance to go out and play.
What to do?
I want to and maybe will, stop playing games. Even though I won't like doing it, I will, because I know it's good for me. And maybe, later on, when I'm big, I settle down witha good job and a good house, I may think about playing again.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

as a mother of two boys who r madly into these games i dont have any arguments in favour of computer games.yet i dont rule it out as a pure form of entertainment for kids. adi, it seems u r mature enough to use computers judiciously- be it for games, studies, blogs, internet,etc.your wisdom will keep u in good stead.
all the best.

Rajiv Nair said...

Computer games drive innovation in hardware and software and it is us gamers who drive them actually. Also games acquaint kids with the intricate details about computers in a way no coaching class or teacher or book would never do.But make sure that YOU are playing the game, and don't let the game play YOU ;) Game on \m/

Anonymous said...

I don't think anything that can keep your spirits so lifted can be a waste of time. As long as the fun ends with the game and you don't start shooting heads off your classmates, games are harmless :-)

Every one is looking for happiness, in one way or the other. You can always take work and play together and still enjoy both. You dont stay a kid forever. There is always time for hard work in your life, so enjoy every moment of your childhood.

And I don't really believe anything can be generalized "girlish", but that can be a totally different topic for discussion. There are girls I know who love racing and shooting games and can spend hours on it. The author of this comment, for one ;-)

CarbonMonoxide said...

Since games are made to offer the best in entertainment , they and people who make them are in the fore front of technology. More recently games have gone up in artistic value. Nowadays , there are games with awesome graphics , excellent story lines and brilliant artwork, so much so that they are better than movies , anyday. ( the Prnce of Persia series come to my mind .. ) Of course this is from the view point of an adult . I hope that you will grow up to be someone who enjoys good games like you enjoy a good movie.

The Minking Than said...

I used to be a big gamer and I used to love some of the strategic games of my days - Caeser III, Railroad Tycoon, Age of Empires, Commandos etc. I liked those games because I like thinking about strategies, I like controlling lot of things, I like building systems - looking at it now these are some of the things I still enjoy and these are some of the things I do with my company.

The one big problem I had identified with me playing these games was that I used to spend a lot of what could otherwise have been productive time on these games. Then they almost had an addictive effect on me. I used to play games even as late as till 2003. But then I quit gaming just like that.

There are a few problems that you could develop with excessive gaming, some of which you have already outlined.
1) Addiction to the game
2) Confusion about reality and imagination
3) Damaging effects on your hands, eyes
4) Loss of concentration in your other activities and physical games which could lead to other problems because of the lack of exercise.
5) Loss of attention in your studies.

A little gaming is probably not going to do you any harm provided you are in control over your desire to game :)

Anonymous said...

Hullo Adi,

I mentioned your blogs in one of my blogs :-)
Here is the url -
http://4sometime.com/books/
2008/06/15/2-growing-up-blogs/

(split into 2 lines)

Adi said...

Hello everyone!

Thanks for commenting! Doread my new posts.