Monday, June 16, 2008

The Last Lecture


A lot of professors give talks titled 'The Last Lecture'. Professors are asked to consider their demise and to ruminate on what matters most to them. And while they speak, audiences can't help but mull the same question- "What wisdom would we impart to the world if we knew it was our last chance? If we had to vanish tomorrow, what would we want as our legacy?
When RANDY PAUSCH (actually Randolph), a computer science professor ai Carnegie Mellon, was asked to give such a lecture, he didn't have to imagine it as his last....
Randy Pausch had been diagnosed with a terminal cancer. But the lecture he gave- 'Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams'- wasn't about dying. It was about the importance of overcoming obstacles (what Randy calls BRICK WALLS'), of enabling the dreams of others, of seizing every moment ('because time is all you have.... and you may find one day that you have less time than you think'). It was a summation of everything Randy had come to beleive. It was about living.

I went through this book of Mr Pausch, called 'The Last Lecture'. It was interesting and useful. Some parts... well... what you may call emotional, and when mom was reading the book, we had to keep clean towels beside her all the time. I'm not the kind of guy who will cry, but at such parts, big lumps come into my throat. Well, mom says it's a book worth reading. I've read only a teeny bit of it. I'm looking forward to read it.
Actually one can go to 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo' to watch 'The Last Lecture' and I suggest you should.
Good news is, this great man is still alive, but his days are still being counted. I can't imagine how one must feel when he/she knows that death is before them. Ughh... Poor fellow, isn't he. But the thing is, in his lecture, he doesn't at all feel as if he's sad about it. That needs a lot of.... i don't know the right word.
I do wish he could live a lot longer, but it is all in God's hands.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Dear Adi,

I saw the book in a book corner and after going thru some of the pages, immediately I brought a copy but so far I could not read it. I am happy to know that it is worth reading. I am more happy to see that you are grown up to appreciate a book and a lecture like this and internalise it.

Go ahead my dear kid.
G

Anonymous said...

I have the good fortune to read his last lecture about 'living ones dreams'.
Being able to talk about your dreams and to dream more dreams even when your days are counted, needs a lot of courage.Positive outlook is an invaluable asset.
My prayers are also with Randy.

I wish you grow up with positive thoughts and look only at the sunny side of life.

The Minking Than said...

It requires a lot of courage and guts to be able to talk about living life and following dreams at the doorstep of death. Besides, only somebody who have actually lived his life and who have followed his dreams and feel contented about it can do that.

Meghna said...

Hi Adi,
Thanks for visiting my blog...that was sweet of u!
hey me too in class 8th but I just turned 13 in Jan :P I feel so old :P
Fabulous blog bro...kaafi saari cheezen padhte ho.....I'm am that lazy type who only like mystery, murder thrillers and fantasies...ahven't tried reading it but I'll read it soon!
U got a great blog and lots of ppl to appreciate you! Keep in touch and keep writing...

Anonymous said...

Adi,
I am happy to have children like you and your brilliant brother Neeru. Though I am away, your blogs keeps you nearer.
Love
Ache

Anonymous said...

Something I think a lot about. What would happen when you know death is near! Mmm I could come up with a hundred answers but then I have no clue how it will be like really. Hats off to Randy Pausch.

You are talking about big things pal :-) Way to go!

And just so you know, I have tagged you in my blog - Tag post

Meghna said...

heyy....tume update kyon nahi karte!

The Minking Than said...

That is right. We are waiting for your updates Adi :). Meghna, nice to see that you are indeed following the blog like you said you would.
Anoop

Pradeep Kumar said...

dear adi,
it was so amusing to go thru your blog, specially because i realized how gopal would have thought when he was 12. we have met, though briefly, but that was a few years ago. we can meet again hopefully, friend.
until then,with best wishes,
pradeep.

Adi said...

Sorry folks, :-(

I was kinda busy with all my holiday homework! I didn't actually get much time to update my blog! Sorry again.
But now i've finished all of the homework, so i'm back!!

Adi said...

thnx Pradeep uncle!! happy you noticed blog :-)
I'm still trying to recollect my visit to your house, as it was seven years back!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Adi

Bad news...
Its finally happened. Just saw now.

Randy Pausch

Adi said...

What the heck!!??
This is an unfair world!!!!
Anyways, may his soul rest in peace!!

The Minking Than said...

Adi, Why did you say that the world is unfair?

Adi said...

@ Than- well.... good question actually.... cause' i just wrote that.... without any reason..... thanx for telling me.....

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!